I recently read a statistic that said the highest population of baby boomers live in Califorina. It should really comes as no surprise. As we age, we naturally yearn for more natural sunlight…simply because it makes us feel better.
So, if you don’t live on the West Coast, here are a few easy tips as to how you can maximize the comfort and performance in your home from lighting expert Mariana Figueiro.
- Lighting on a task area surface should be brighter than the surrounding space
- Minimize glare by curbing the use of glossy materials
- Lighting so shadows are “softer” (ones that don’t cast harsh shadows)
- Balance light levels in an area
- To keep circadian rhythms in sync: during the daytime hours (or at
least for 2 hours in the morning) increase light levels and use bluish white for at least 2 hrs in the
morning.” In addition, during the evening hours decrease light levels and use lights with a wam yellowish tint.